Prefab Green

In Prefab Green, architect Michelle Kaufmann shares her vision of creating thoughtful, sustainable design for everyone. Her work blends sustainable home layouts, eco-friendly materials, and low-energy options to create a “prepackaged” green solution to home design. Kaufmann tells about five eco-principles that are present in every design her firm creates-smart design, eco-materials, energy efficiency, water conservation, and healthy environment-and how each work together to create homes that make a difference.

BUY HERE >

13 Responses to “Prefab Green”

1. mary says:

Hi Michelle-
    I’m looking to add a 3 season room to my home and wanted to make it as green as possible. Hoping that it could even be heated separately from the main house with water or solar panels. I live in Wisconsin and was wondering if you yourself can help or know of an architect locally that I could consult?
    Thank you.
    Mary

2. MK says:

Checking with your local USGBC office and asking them for a green architect can be a good first step. Best wishes on your project.

3. Eric says:

Hi Michelle,

Long time no speak. Got a hit on yahoo that led me to your book. Will be reading it – need to know what great things you are up to in nor-cal.

PS: Sorry for using this blog to drop you a line.

4. MK says:

Eric,
    Great to hear from you! How are you? Are you still engineering prefabricated structures?
    best, Michelle

5. Fred says:

Hello Michelle,

I have been following your work for some time and I am a fan. I have three questions. 1. Is your product available on the east coast? 2. If not: are you looking for patnerships? Have you ever done prefab hotels?

6. Anne says:

Hi Michelle,

I drop into your website on occasion to see what you are up to – as an admirer of your pre-fab structures.
    I come from the ‘land downunder’ where our slow-to-take-up-change culture could so well do with adopting this type of construction.
    Our own home grown architect Glen Murcutt so beautifully put it – to ‘touch this Earth gently’and still we mow along putting down slabs first. Oh, yes, make the land flat with Earthmoving equipment, put in massive drainage and retainer walls, so you can get your slab in, is SO smart hey??? NOT.
    We have so many remote communities, where pre-fabs are the best solution.

Love your work…

Cheers, Anne

7. Carol says:

We are interested in building a prefab home in San Jose and looking for ideas.

8. Michelle says:

Hello, we are looking to purchase property in Malibu Ca and are looking to put a prefab green home on it. We are trying to figure out where to start and any ideas would be greatly helpful. Thanks so much!

9. Denise Martin says:

Hi Michelle, just dropped in to see how fabulous your work is- just love the idea of a pre-fab sustainable world, after all, that’s what it is.

By the way, is that full glass on all three walls there double or triple glazed?

Oh, I also ‘come from the ‘land downunder’ where our slow-to-take-up-change culture’…, although I’m confused by that because we are after all, leaders in sustainability, but with an overwhelming lack of self belief and self confidence!

10. PJ Claussen says:

Any suggestion on shipping to a site in Honolulu?

I found out from a book, your prefab is $110/ sq.ft. Not sure if that’s outdated.

I’m crazy about Senset Breeze. Please give me some more info. Thanks!!!

11. Jane Akre says:

Hello Michelle-

I’m in NE Florida and wonder if you have any sustainable homes/ communities here? I wonder why not – we have the sunshine and lots of empty nesters- perfect for modular housing. Florida is typically about 15 years behin or d California so maybe it’s time.

Do you have any buildings in the SE at all? I’d love to explore further the possibility of building multiple structures either individual or attached on land in Florida or somewhere in the SE. Thank you!

PS I’m at the beach near Jacksonville and St. Augustine, a very sustainably-oriented community.

12. Raquel Lawrence says:

Hello Michelle…

Kudos to you for being a female Architect in this male dominated field first off!!! I am interested in building a custom home in Central America (Bocas Del Toro, Panama), my birth home in a couple of years.!!! I plan on buying a oceanfront lot and building a simple home looking out to the ocean. Since I am frugal and practical I want nature to guide me in regards to the building concept and surrounding landscape. Does your company build in the Caribbean? As a beginner, what advise would you give to someone who is building a home from shippping containers. Any Architects you know in Panama who are qualified to build such structures? Your professional input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

13. Lisa Landers says:

Hi Michelle! We still need to catch up for coffee one of these days! I thought of you because we just published a story about some Stanford students and their design for a self sustaining modular prefab. You can see the story/video here: http://science.kqed.org/quest/video/stanford-university-competes-in-its-first-solar-decathlon/

Today we also released a very cool video portrait featuring a passionate UNC student and how his Solar Decathlon House utilizes a new, more eco-friendly form of cement.

Just thought you might be interested!

Best,